Parkinson's Care at
With Dr. Cary Morin
Doctor of Physiotherapy, Physical Therapist,
LSVT BIG Certified Clinician
Introducing LSVT BIG
Parkinson’s Disease is the second most common neurodegenerative disorder with an estimated 12,000 people living with this disease in Ireland. Exercise programs can significantly improve the quality of life of people living with Parkinson’s disease; by addressing slowed movement patterns, rigidity, tremors, balance impairments, and cognitive decline. All rehabilitation programs are personalized to target each client's needs and goals.
Research has shown that physiotherapy can:
Improve balance, strength, & endurance
Increase walking speed with bigger steps
Reduce the risk of falling
Increase independence with activities of daily living (ADLs)
Our LSVT BIG Certified Clinicians also offer an intensive rehabilitation program for those looking to jump start their progress.
Patients who have completed this program have shown long-term improvements in movement quality and independence during common daily activities (ADLs)
LSVT BIG is a an intensive, amplitude focused physical and occupational therapy approach developed from principles of the effective Parkinson’s specific speech treatment LSVT LOUD®
• The LSVT Programs have been developed and scientifically researched over the past 25 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health.
• Research on LSVT BIG has documented improved ratings on tests of motor functioning in people with Parkinson disease following treatment including:
- Faster walking with bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Increased trunk rotation
- Improvements in activities of daily living such as bed mobility
- Improved UPDRS Motor Score
LSVT BIG is a standardized treatment protocol, which is customized to the unique goals of each patient including both gross and fine motor skills. LSVT BIG can be adapted or progressed in order to meet each patient’s needs across a range of disease severity and presenting impairments.
• LSVT BIG treatment consists of:
1) 16 sessions: 4 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks
2) Individual 1 hour sessions
3) Daily homework practice
4) Daily carryover exercises
• It is essential that LSVT BIG treatment is only delivered by physical or occupational therapists who are certified in this method.
• LSVT BIG is being delivered by over 10,000 certified LSVT clinicians in 38 countries.
1. Ebersbach, G., Ebersbach, A., Edler, D., Kaufhold, O., Kusch, M., Kupsch, A., & Wissel, J. (2010). Comparing exercise in Parkinson's disease--the Berlin LSVT®BIG study. Movement Disorders, 25, 2478.
2. Fox, C., Ebersbach, G., Ramig, L., & Sapir, S. (2012). LSVT LOUD and LSVT BIG: Behavioral treatment programs for speech and body movement in Parkinson disease. Parkinson’s Disease, 2012, Article ID 391946, 12pgs.
3. Janssens J, Malfroid K, Nyffeler T, Bohlhalter S, Vanbellingen T. Application of LSVT BIG Intervention to Address Gait, Balance, Bed Mobility, and Dexterity in People With Parkinson Disease: A Case Series. Phys Ther. 2014 Feb 20. [Epub ahead of print]
Dr. Cary Morin
Doctor of Physiotherapy, Physical Therapist, LSVT BIG Certified Clinician, Dry Needling & Shockwave Specialist
Hi, I am Cary. Born and raised in northern New England, USA, I studied in North Carolina where I received my Doctorate in Physical Therapy in 2016. Over the past 6 years, I have trained and worked in Acute Care and Outpatient Care in both hospital and privately-owned settings.
I am particularly passionate about treating Parkinson's, having gained my LSVT certification. I specialise in improving mobility in patients with Neurological degenerative conditions such as Parkinson’s disease. Having helped many patients who had lost their mobility & day-to-day life to neurological disease, gain back their strength, movement and quality of life.
Baylor specializes in the treatment of vestibular disorders, concussions, balance impairments, and neurological conditions including Parkinson’s disease, stroke, and MS. She is one of 14 LSVT BIG certified physiotherapists in Ireland for the treatment of persons with Parkinson’s disease.
Initial Consulation 1hr- Discussion, treatment and plan of care €140 Book Online
Follow Up 30min - discussion and plan of care €70 Book Online